Friday, May 13, 2016

Third Day

10. Mai 2016

Today was an exhausting, fun-filled day.  It started off bright and early with a site visit to SGL, a carbon fiber manufacturer.  The visit began with a lecture, which was really interesting because before then, I was not aware of all of the diverse uses for carbon fibers.  After, we went on a tour of the facilities.  First, I was able to observe real products created from the carbon.  I particularly found the car door really amazing because I could carry it with little effort.  It was definitely interesting, but I felt like it was a little more geared toward the engineering students than the business students because the explanations of the production were very technical and based on a knowledge of chemistry.  After the tour, we were treated to a delicious lunch!  Then it was time to go back to Augsburg for a lecture on migration in Germany in the town hall.  I really enjoyed the lecture because I love learning about Germany's rich and diverse history.  Our discussion on the refugee situation did not end their either.  After, we went to the Grand Hotel where many refugees live.  It was unlike anything I've ever seen.  It was not only a home for refugees, but also a hotel with rooms decorated by local artists, and a hostel.  Although pretty fascinating, the tour was very long, and at this point, we were all exhausted from the busy day we had.  The hotel was also quite muggy, and I had a little bit of an asthma attack (thank goodness I brought my inhaler).  No worries because then it was time to get dinner!  Earlier that day, I had asked Christoph, one of the German students for dinner suggestions.  We wanted traditional German food so he suggested König Von Flandern.  I'm so glad he did because it was such a good time!  It was right near the town center and in the basement of a building.  When we walked in, I was able to use my German to get us seated and later, I helped everyone order.  I decided to be adventurous and order a "half knuckle of pork." It was definitely a lot of food, but it was also delicious!  After dinner, Jan, one of the German students who met up with us, took us to an authentic beer garden tucked away in the city.  While there, we ran into a girl on vacation with her boyfriend who told us she was from Pittsburgh!  I was so amazed that we ran into someone from my hometown since Augsburg really isn't much of a tourist town. The night ended with laughter and fun as we all shared stories and talked in the beer garden.  We then all took the tram back to our hotel.  I fell asleep almost immediately after I got back.  Overall, it was another great day in Deutschland!






Bis Später!

Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment