Monday, May 23, 2016

Last Day and Final Thoughts

21. Mai 2016

Today has been the longest day of traveling ever.  It started off super early when I woke up at 6:15 am to finish up some packing.  We then left for the airport at 7:45.  There, we would have to go through passport control and then security.  This took a pretty long time, but then I finally got to my gate.  Even though I have a pretty big fear of flying, I was too tired to even realize what I was about to do.  I couldn't believe we were already leaving, but the thought of seeing my family soon excited me so much!  The first flight felt so long.  It was probably about 9 hours long.  I watched the movie Crazy, Stupid, Love which was really good! I then decided to start to watch Inception, but this probably wasn't a good idea because I fell asleep and woke up in the middle of it with absolutely no idea what was happening.  I then slept for most of the rest of the trip.  When we finally touched down in DC, I was so excited to be back in the US! However, I already had received messages from my new German friends saying how much they missed us.  I missed them so much too!  A quick one hour flight was all that was keeping me from being home and seeing my family!  However, before this flight, we would have to face the dreaded process of customs and security.  We had to wait in line for customs for almost an hour!  This process was made a little better by the fact that a nice couple from Tennessee started asking us all about our travels to Germany.  They shared how they travel to a different country in Europe every year!  It was so cool to hear about all of the places they visited.  Finally, it was time to board the plane to Pittsburgh.  It was such a small plane, and they said that the flight would only be about 30 minutes.  I slept the whole flight, and when I awoke, I was finally home!  On the way to baggage claim, I ran to hug my parents!  I was so excited to see them!  On the way home, I talked their ears off with all of the stories I had to share!  When I got home, I was met by many surprises! First, my brother had come home for the weekend from Michigan!  I was so excited to see him, and even more excited to give him all of the souvenirs I had bought for him.  But this wasn't the biggest surprise.  My parents had a card waiting for me right when I came home.  Inside, the card read, "hope you enjoy your new room!"  I ran up to my room immediately and was met by a brand new room!  My parents had worked tirelessly over the two weeks I was gone to completely redo my room! I could not believe my eyes!  This was one of the nicest things anyone had ever done for me, and I was so grateful.  It was such a great ending to my amazing trip.  Overall, I will never forget this trip!  It has been one the of the greatest experiences of my entire life.  I have made so many lifelong friends and have made memories that I will never forget.  I have wanted to travel to Germany for as long as I can remember, and this trip truly met and exceeded my expectations.  We were able to see Germany from a totally different perspective than most tourists.  The German students gave us the true German experience, and for that, I am forever grateful!  I definitely have the travel bug now! I cannot wait to see where my life takes me next!  







Auf Wiedersehen!

Lindsey


No comments:

Post a Comment