Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Second Day

9. Mai 2016

I had such a fun day today!  It started off with a light, traditional German breakfast at the hotel.  It was definitely unlike the breakfast that we are used to in America, but since I have studied the German culture for so long, I was not surprised.  They served Semmeln (rolls) with lunch meats, yogurt, cereal, fruit, and some other light refreshments.  After breakfast, it was time to leave for the University of Augsburg.  We took the tram, which was very convenient because it dropped us off right in the middle of the campus.  When we arrived, I was very surprised by how modern all of the buildings were.  The campus was definitely different from our university as it was separated from the city and everything seemed very new as it was only built in the 70s.  We then met up with the German students once again for a quick lecture from Professor Feick.  After, we were able to officially meet our groups in order to complete our first introduction presentation on our companies.  The Germans in my group, Katha, Christian, and Manuel, were so nice and easy to talk to!  They definitely knew how to make me laugh!  My company is BMW, so it was very interesting looking up all of the information on their history, current condition, and future outlook.  I really enjoyed watching all of the presentations, as well, and learned a lot of initial information about the companies we would soon be visiting.  My group did a very good job presenting, and I was so proud of everyone for putting together such a great presentation in such a short amount of time.
               It was then finally time for lunch at the Mensa, or cafeteria.  I was so excited to eat at an authentic German Mensa because I had learned a lot about them in my college German courses.  The food was so good; way better than anything I could get at Market Central!  I especially loved the steamed vegetables bar.  Lunch was a great time to continue fun conversations with all of the German students.  I had a ton of fun pronouncing “the 10 hardest German words for Americans to pronounce.”  Christian had found the article online and asked me to pronounce the words, and he said that I surprisingly did a very good job!  Since we were then curious, my friend Sydney and I then found a list of the toughest words for Germans to pronounce in English, and all of us had a great laugh!  After lunch, we then went on a quick campus tour led by some students.  I was so excited to hear that one of the students, Nicolai, had actually spent a semester at Pitt!  He was then my group’s leader for the scavenger hunt through the city, so it was really enjoyable being able to hear all of his fun stories of his time at Pitt. 
               The scavenger hunt itself was a ton of fun!  It brought us all around the city, and even to the top of the tower in the middle of the city square.  One of the questions asked us to count the number of stairs to the top, so just to be sure, I decided to ask the man working there how many there were (it was also just an excuse to use some more German of course).  He answered back, and said that there were 260!  It was definitely worth the little bit of exercise because the view was breathtaking!  In the middle of the scavenger hunt, my group decided we wanted to take a break, so Sophia, one of the Germans in my group, suggested we go and get “Butterbreze” from Wolf, a small bakery right in the town center.  I am so glad she did because it was so yummy!  We all sat in the town square, took in the sun and enjoyed our pretzels.  My friend Veronica was so comfortable that she even fell asleep!  While relaxing, we were really able to bond with Sophia and Nicolai.  Sophia is actually a student in the Netherlands who is studying in Augsburg on an exchange program.  She, like us, is very new to the Bavarian lifestyle.  However, it was amazing how many things we had in common with her, such as our music and clothing tastes.  After our little break, we then headed toward the final stop of the scavenger hunt, a famous brewery in Augsburg.  However, on our way, we had to stop for some gelato at Sophia’s favorite gelato shop.  I ordered one scoop of cookies flavored gelato for only one euro, and it was probably the best ice cream I had ever had.  I will definitely be stopping back at that shop before I leave Germany!  We then finally arrived to the beer garden, which was just so perfect, picturesque, and exactly what I imagined a beer garden to look like!  There, we sat and enjoyed each other’s company, and were able to exchange contact information with our new German friends.  Sadly, Sophia had to leave shortly after because she had class at the university, but we were able to get a great picture together before she did. 
               We then went back into the city center for dinner at an authentic Italian restaurant called Dragone.  What was especially memorable about this dinner was ordering and translating for everyone at my table!  It was so much fun for me!  My meal was a delicious pasta dish with fresh vegetables, which I really liked.  After dinner, it was time to explore the city a little more.  We just spent time going into a bunch of different restaurants and bonded with all of the Americans.  It was a really fun time!  Overall, it was such an amazing day.  I am so glad I was able to make such good friends with the German students and also use my German skills in a practical way!
















Bis Spaeter!



Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment