Monday, May 23, 2016

Fourteenth Day

20. Mai 2016

I can't believe today is already here.  It's our last day in Germany, and I am experiencing so many emotions.  On the one hand, I'm excited to see my friends and family again, but on the other, I don't know how I'll be able to say goodbye to all of the amazing friends I have made on this trip.  Nothing was planned for today, so we were able to enjoy a free day in the city of Augsburg.  It started off with a traditional Bavarian white sausage breakfast at Riegele, the famous brewery in Augsburg.  We had such a fun time trying the food and enjoying each other's company!  When the sausages arrived, all of the Americans were so confused that we had to first remove the outer layer before eating them.  They were definitely unlike anything I've ever had, but I enjoyed them for sure!  After breakfast, we all went to get gelato one last time.  The gelato in Germany is definitely one thing I'm going to miss for sure!  Not only is it absolutely delicious, but it's pretty cheap, as well.  After getting our gelato, we walked to the city center where we had to say our first goodbye of many.  Our friend Lucie, who we all had become super close to over the course of the trip, was leaving to visit her sister, so we had to say goodbye.  I tried not to cry, but it was impossible.  All of the girls hugged Lucie one by one with tears streaming down our faces.  However, we made promises to see each other again whether that be in the US or Germany.  After this first goodbye, I knew today would not be easy.  Next, some girls and I set out on a mission to buy the rest of our souvenirs for our friends and family.  Along the way, I asked directions to the mall in German. I was truly proud of myself for how far my confidence in my language abilities had come over the course of the trip.  I know that when I intern in Berlin next summer for 3 months, it will only get better.  After buying all of our souvenirs and nearly maxing out our spending money, we went back to the hotel to freshen up before a barbecue.  Some of the German students set up a big barbecue in the park across from our hotel.  It was such a fun time and a great end to such an amazing trip!  We all sat around laughing and listening to music. We grilled up some steaks, sausages, burgers, and more!  At one point, Patrick and one of the guys from Pitt, Christian, climbed to the very top of a tree! It was so funny to watch as Patrick sat up in the tree without a care in the world, and Christian held on for dear life.  What I have come to realize after this trip, is that the Germans try to enjoy life to its fullest.  They are always up for an adventure and rarely let the opinions of others stop them from doing what they want.  They have taught me to branch out and try new things, and for that, I am forever grateful.  Saying goodbye was definitely not easy. Some tears were shed as we all shared our last hugs.  The only thing getting me through the goodbyes was the fact that I am going to do everything in my power to try and see them next summer when I come back to Germany.  Also, the Germans now know that they always have friends in Pittsburgh if they ever want to visit!  I am confident that we will all stay in touch and that this is not the last time we will see each other.  I never imagined that we would all become so close, but I am so so glad that we did.












Bis Später!

Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment